The predictable, reliable delivery of just the right amount of water, at just the right time, is key to a bountiful crop. Since ancient times, irrigation has been a primary concern of farmers. The Egyptians, the Romans, the Babylonians, the Persians and the Greeks all developed new methods to irrigate. Today, we have a vast – and potentially confusing – array of choices for irrigation, along with new ways to manage it through irrigation monitoring systems. So how do you choose the best option?
There are numerous factors you need to consider. First, there are the physical concerns:
- How much annual rainfall does your area get, and when?
- What are you going to plant?
- How much water does it need, and when?
- How much land are you trying to irrigate?
- What is the shape of the plot you are going to irrigate?
- Are there obstructions in the field?
- What is the terrain like?
- What is the soil like?
- What is the water source like, and how far away is it?
Then there are the business concerns:
- How many fields might you eventually want to irrigate, and how far apart are they?
- How different are your fields?
- How often do you want to travel to each location to monitor and operate your irrigation systems, or do you want to invest in an irrigation monitoring system?
- Of course you want your equipment to be reliable. But how much (if any) maintenance do you want to handle yourself?
Those questions return us to the original question: “How do you choose the best option?” The answer may seem overwhelming, but it’s actually quite simple. Contact your local Valley dealer, who can introduce you to the Valley product line and find the right solutions for your irrigation needs. These include:
Center Pivot – Valley 8000 series center pivots set the benchmark for agricultural irrigation.
Linears – The Rainger™ Linear is ideal for rectangular or oddly shaped fields.
Extra durability – PolySpan®, pipes lined with high-density polyethylene, are available if your water is corrosive.
Additional options – Corners, Benders and DropSpans are all options to get more production out of oddly shaped fields or fields with obstructions. End guns also can reach into the corners of square fields.
Smart Irrigation and Irrigation Monitoring Systems – These solutions cover basic irrigation needs, but can be enhanced by Valley cutting-edge technology.
- Valley ICON® panels bring smart control to your pivots via touchscreens and your hand-held devices.
- The Valley X-Tec® drive system with FastPass™ technology enables a center pivot to move twice as fast. This is great for cooling passes, repositioning the center pivot, applying chemicals and broadening the range of irrigation depth.
- There are also irrigation monitoring systems, such as AgSense®.
Choosing the best options to irrigate your crops can be complicated … but it doesn’t have to be. The extensive line of Valley products and irrigation monitoring systems may provide the solution you’ve been looking for. Your Valley dealer can help choose the proper products, and then help with installation, provide best practices for your area, and offer maintenance and excellent service.
But the support doesn’t stop there. Backing up your Valley dealer is the Valley team, located worldwide. This team of scientists, engineers, service experts and product experts are also ready to help find the best solution for your irrigation needs. Our extended team is how Valley became – and remains – the acknowledged leader in precision irrigation.
Contact your dealer today to learn more about the Valley product line and technology offerings.